Taittinger's origins date back to 1734 by Jacques Fourneaux. Around 1912 Pierre Taittinger and one of his brothers-in-law ran a Champagne distribution and export business. As a young cavalry officer in the 1st World War, he spent much time in the Champagne area where he was stationed near Epernay. He fell in love with the vineyards and bought the property and its vineyards from Fourneaux in 1932. Taittinger is family owned still and the Taittinger headquarters are in Reims, situated above magnificent 4th Century Roman cellars and run by Claude Taittinger Pierres son.