Born out of a real passion for animal wellbeing, two chemists in 1954 decided to create the Elsay & Riga laboratories in Tourcoing, in the Nord Department of France. Specialising in products for pigeon and bird fanciers, they mainly sold to seed merchants, breeders and small pet shops. It was in the 1970s that distribution methods were modernized and pets began to acquire a higher profile in homes. The Riga team was still motivated by its passion for animals and decided to extend its range to include all species of pet, under veterinary and pharmaceutical control, to meet the new requirements of consumers and their companions. Over the following decades, Riga has never ceased to innovate, consistently providing new products and services to satisfy its customers’ needs. This period was also the start of constant product improvement to take into account fresh knowledge on animal biology and to follow fashion and the consumer trends of owners.